22nd April 2019 Unfortunately, we have had a number of incidents in the last few weeks of dogs not being kept under control whilst visiting the park. In particular there have been a number of occasions when dogs have been seen chasing deer. This is very distressing for the deer, many of whom are heavily pregnant at this time of the year and this has at times resulted in serious injury or death of the animal. This is also the time of year when our cattle and sheep are giving birth and it is important that they are not disturbed by dogs which are not under control.
The park welcomes dogs and responsible dog owners and we aim to provide an environment where they can fully enjoy the park with the minimum of restrictions. The vast majority of visitors to the park are considerate and careful about keeping their dogs under control and until recently we experienced very few problems like this. We don’t want to impose any additional restrictions on dogs or their owners when visiting the park, but at the same time the welfare of the deer and farm livestock is also a priority for us.
If you do witness any incidents of dogs worrying deer or livestock within the park, we would be really grateful if you’d report it to a member of staff at the earliest opportunity.
Whether you are visiting from afar or popping in for your regular daily dog walk we are always happy to welcome you.
A state of the art 'Polygon Pets Dog Wash Machine', the first of it's type in Wales, is situated close to the main car park. Featuring lovely warm water, 2 speed dryer, environmentally friendly products, flexible self service - Help you to keep you car and home clean!
£3 for 3 minutes -contactless card payments
Review from Debbie one of the first to try the Dog Wash out with her dog Teddy 'It was great. I've often wished you had something like this. It was very easy to use, I think I might have been the first to use it . Reasonable too. The water is warm too which is excellent. So comfortable for the dogs and the hands, one more really good point is that you don't need "money" as you pay for it using a card, so there's no fumbling around looking for change.'
Where can we go with our dogs?
Almost everywhere! However not in the Main Castle, Children's Play areas , the Gift Shop or Charlotte's Pantry (Guide dogs are the exception).
You can explore:
• Parkland - Our parkland is a dog walking heaven. With 500 acres to explore this is the best spot for letting them stretch their legs and chase a ball, please be mindful however that our deer roam in the Parkland so dogs must be under CLOSE control. At times in the year we will ask you to keep them on leads- particularly for the fawning time when our deer give birth. We will put signs up during these times to let you know.
• Formal gardens - With your dog on its lead, wander through the formal gardens, lots of benches to rest and enjoy the sun.
• Charlotte's Pantry - We have lots of benches in the castle visitor centre courtyard, you can sit and enjoy a snack close to the Cafe.
We love dogs but not all our visitors do! So please help us stay dog friendly by following our guidelines-
• Pick up after your pooch - We supply dog poop bags at the entrance cabin should you forget to bring yours. You can put the bags IN ANY OF THE PARK BINS. Please DON'T leave bags in our hedges and under bushes.
• Keep your dogs with you at all times - dogs should never be left unattended when you visit the Park.
You may also be interested in walks in the Park, discovering nature, shopping and eating.